It's Thursday and that means it's Jessica's Latest Problem with the World Day. I had a "problem" all set to vent but I just had the most positive experience with the guy who came to fix my garage door opener so my "problem" will wait another week.
My garage door quit working sometime in the winter but because my garage is on an alley-entrance and South Bend doesn't plow alleys...the garage is virtually useless if you get snow like we did this winter. Plus, with people around here using the alley as their personal dumpster, you might be running over a dead body covered by snow.
So with a day off I made the call and a guy came out today to take a look. Apparently, the previous owners installed an illegal garage door opener, meaning, it doesn't meet code and *might* crush a car or child if the door closed with something under it. Awesome! This isn't the first time the previous owners have left me with a mess to clean up. Amazingly, the service guy fixed the opener anyway and then told me to have a nice weekend and started to walk away. I asked him how much I owed him and he said he couldn't invoice me because he could get in huge trouble for even touching the illegal opener. I offered to pay him SOMETHING and ran into the house to get the little cash I had.
He made $15 and a customer for life.
The opener the previous owners installed may have not been illegal when it was installed. Does it look really old? Way back when, I don't think there were any safety features at all (probably over 30 years ago and longer). Then they came out with a feature that once the door touched something on the way down, it automatically reversed. The latest feature is an infrared beam about 6 inches from the floor...cross it when the door is traveling down, and it reverses! If yours is "illegal," it was supposed to be caught by a home inspector when you bought the house! A brief and incomplete history of the garage door opener from a longtime homeowner! I've installed 2 of these things! Boring, huh? Have a great weekend! Dyngus Day is Monday!!
ReplyDeleteWow. What a genuine act of kindness! I like it.
ReplyDelete