
David Sedaris
He makes me laugh so hard I cry and makes me cry so hard I wheeze. He is a joy to listen to on NPR and This American Life and he is one of two authors who have been able to make me actually laugh out loud by myself while reading his books. I described him at a recent lunch with girlfriends as a humorist, not a comedian and my friends gave me the ultimate compliment: "Kind of like you, Jess!" Humbling doesn't begin to describe how it feels to be compared to David Sedaris. And if I ever begin to doubt there is not a cosmic link between Sedaris and myself, check out this quote from a recent interview:
How has he contrived a life, I ask, which seems to generate so
much more comic material than most people's?
"Oh no," he says at once. "I don't think my life is more interesting than anybody else's. I think the only difference between me and everyone else is this ... [he reaches into his inside pocket and pulls out a small notepad] I write things down. That's all."
But his reading is next Monday, not tonight. Oh well, more time to dream up the ultimate audience participation question that will leave him breathless with laughter and intrigued by the girl in Indiana with the similar mentality so much that he'll be compelled to ask me to join him on his book tour and then be a contributing author for his next book of short stories that will make me relatively famous and I'll get my own book deal. (No hopes or anything pinned to this, as you can tell)
No comments:
Post a Comment