Sunday, July 18, 2010

Real Men Two Step


As some of you know, I have unusual tastes. Take for example, my celebrity crush. George Clooney? That soccer guy? Justin Bieber? No, too expected. Too ordinary. It's Neil Diamond who makes my eyebrows wiggle. My favorite song?? Well of course it's "I Don't Feel Like Dancin'" by the Scissor Sisters (the namesake of this little bloggy blog). A song sung by a guy in a falsetto and who wears a one-piece leotard in the video while he dances & hops around.


A good therapist might find it interesting that my favorite movie as a child was Urban Cowboy. A movie about...an urban cowboy...who falls in love on the dance floor of Gilly's, gets married, moves into a trailer, leaves his wife within a week, hooks up with a fancy urban cowlady, and then gets back together with his wife after she learns to ride a mechanical bull and gets beaten up by her ex-convict new boyfriend. A movie where the woman protagonist is named Sissy.
Hellooooooo therapy!

Despite not really understanding the plot I loved it because...oh my God...could they dance. My mom could probably tell stories about the number of times I watched Urban Cowboy on HBO and danced in the living room, trying to two step, trying to do some fancy footwork, wishing I had some cowboy boots so it would look cooler. I'd sing the songs all the time and slow dance to "Lookin' For Love in All the Wrong Places," hooking my thumbs in my belt, and believing that the ultimate romantic gesture was to slow dance with your guy and put on his cowboy hat while you spun and spun and spun. It was what I dreamed adulthood would be like. I was 5.

I visited my friend Marilyn Monroe this weekend and she took me to a dance club that reminded me of Gilly's. It used to be a Kmart or something and so the dance floor was huge! I'm not ashamed to admit that I imagined recreating scenes from Urban Cowboy...drinking long neck Buds, starting a fight, two-stepping around the perimeter of the dance floor...and showing off some moves like this:

1 comment: