Jessica's Latest Problem with the World, Pt 2
What's wrong with being a girl? What is SO wrong with being a woman? I'm getting really tired of hearing women disowning their own sex. Why do women try so hard to convince others that they're not "girly?" Why has the "girly" stereotype gotten so out of hand that women now break their backs to come across as masculine?
I'll tell you why. The adjectives girly and feminine have come to mean overly-emotional, unstable, catty, self-absorbed, and weak. I would argue that this is a case of the minority making the biggest negative impression and the majority, therefore, suffering from what is perceived as the stereotype being reinforced.
It is ok to be girly. It is ok to admit that you read women's magazines, care how you look in clothes, get your feelings hurt or can't shoot whiskey. (I'm working on that last one) A woman can like ESPN and TLC equally. And even if she likes TLC more than she likes ESPN...so what? (Although if TLC comes up with one more little-person show I'll scream. Little Chocolatier??? Seriously???)
I've never had a guy tell me any of the following: "I really wish you hadn't washed your hair." "I like you better when you're smelly." "If you can't tell me who's on the ND starting offensive line we're through." "If you wear anything pink I will kick you." "If you talk about anything other than sports I will kick you." "If you confess to have seen AND LIKED! a romantic comedy in the last 10 years I will moonwalk my way on out of here."
I resolve to kick the girly stereotype to the curb. Who's with me?!?!?!
Can we shoot a whiskey before we riot?
Ok, #1, Please tell me there really isn't a little Chocolatier?
ReplyDelete#2, I haven't shot whiskey in about 10 years, but I'm willing to give it another shot for the greater good of women! Let me know when we riot!