Wednesday, March 3, 2010

An Ode to Podcasts

I'm currently subscribing to 39 podcasts. I have 996 podcasts in my iTunes library, of which 213 are waiting to be listened to. Some of these are no longer producing regular podcasts while others send me daily listens. I'm always on the search for interesting podcasts, watching the iTunes top 20 list, and plugging in random topics or new interests to see what's out there. Here's a sample of the best of my podcast subscriptions:

Amercian Catholic Radio
The Dinner Party Download (awesome mix of odd current events, drink recipes, history, food, and jokes. Everything you need to win your next dinner party)
College Humor Original Videos
Song of the Day podcasts from Minnesota Public Radio, KCRW & KEXP. They send you one song a day. I've been able to discover artists far in advance of when their single hits the radio waves
The Dealista's Quick and Dirty Tips for Getting More for Less Money
The Ethicist
Flight of the Conchords (RIP)
The Money Pit Home Improvement Radio Show
Money Girl's Quick and Dirty Tips for a Richer Life
The Moth Podcast (my new current favorite. Amateurs telling their stories, live, without notes, in front of an audience)
Mr. Manner's Quick and Dirty Tips for a More Polite Life
NPR: Wait Wait Don't Tell Me!
One Minute How-To
Onion News (Radio and Video)
Phedippidations (a great running podcast, produced by a guy who touts himself as a middle aged, middle of the pack, slightly asthmatic runner)
The Show with ZeFrank (no longer doing podcasts but a real hoot.)
Slate Magazine (a little too liberal for me but it gives me balance)
Stuff You Should Know and Stuff Mom Never Told You
That's What She Said--The Office
This American Life
Today In the Past

Podcasts have helped me dazzle friends with my knowledge of squatter's rights! I've intelligently debated about last year's election! Everyone I know is thankful for the jokes about under-water discos! I insulated my house this year, with advice from a podcast! And I've weeped, listening to stories about seeing eye dogs, families torn apart or reunited, and unexpected love at a camp for paralegics. Without you, O Podcast, my roadtrips to Nebraska would drag by and my Saturday mornings would be wasted watching infomercials.

Podcasts....you're my density. I mean....destiny.

1 comment:

  1. Squatter's rights! You crack me up. Btw, the Moth Podcast sounds interesting...

    ReplyDelete