
I really don't want to use this forum as a place to vent and complain. "Welcome to Jessica's latest problem with the world!!!" But I'm going to voice a pet peeve I've had a for a long time.
People who claim they only like "up and coming" and "indie" and "undiscovered" bands.
I was reading some one's blog yesterday and they had an old post titled "Songs and bands I'm in LOOOOOOVE with!!" I'd heard of a few artists but for the most part was clueless. So I went to iTunes and systematically looked up every song and artist she claimed to LOOOOOVE. They all stunk on ice. Seriously...I couldn't imagine one person I know going "oh, this whiny song with mish-mashed lyrics is so good!"
So, my conclusion is that these songs and artists are this girl's "favorites" for the sole reason that they're obscure and she wants to say she liked them before they sold out & plastered their songs on Toyota commercials. To be a good song, in my opinion, the song has to illicit a reaction from you. It needs to make you want to dance, want to dance with someone you shouldn't, want to call your mom, want to jump up on a table and sing to the bar, want to talk to people you can't physically talk to anymore, or just make you want to smile and enjoy the sunshine.
Her music made me want to lay down and contemplate why I go on living.
I'm not a music snob and don't want to hate on people just because they like bands I've never heard of. But when the music sucks...in the words of GOB...C'MON!!! So here's an incomplete list of songs I'm in LOOOOOOOVE with:
Scissor Sisters: I Don't Feel Like Dancin. (couldn't NOT put it as #1)
Bruce Springsteen: Lonesome Day (see the part about getting on a table and dancing and singing to the crowd)
Frank Sinatra: Fly Me to the Moon
Kenny Loggins: Footloose
ABBA: Fernando
James: Laid
Neil Diamond: basically anything but Holly Holy and Cherry Cherry will make me do interpretive dance
Aretha Franklin: Baby I Love You
I LOVE Fernando too! I feel very passionate when I sing it in my car. Been a sinatra fan since the mid-90's. Good stuff Jess.
ReplyDelete