Saturday, June 12, 2010

Dogs vs. Grandmas

Sign I saw on my way to the kickball tournament this morning:

Dogs are Family. Would you tie your grandma up in the yard?

My first response was "Right! Dogs ARE family and people should treat them RIGHT!" However, now I'm rethinking that. I would tie my grandma up in the yard for the following reasons:
  • I thought my grandma might bite someone who walked by the house.
  • My grandma used the yard as a toilet and each time she used it, I had to walk around with her as she circled the entire yard 5-10 times, smelled every tree, smelled every trace of other animals that walked through the yard...and in general, took 20 minutes to do this each time
  • If let out of the house my grandma would run away and then forget how to get back to the house.
  • If let out of the house, my grandma might spot a rabbit across the street and take off after it, with no regard to on-coming traffic.
I love animals and especially dogs, but until a dog can make me sugar cookies, knit me an afghan, or watch a football game with me, they will continue to be treated like a dog (which in my house is pretty darn good) and grandmas will continue to be treated like grandmas.

No comments:

Post a Comment