Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Get Your Motor Running...

Yesterday I admitted that I hate heat. I've always hated being hot but I think it's intensified in the last year or two, after my thyroid decided to revolt against my body. I won't take all of the blame, since we've had two horrible, humid, record-setting summers in a row. But I go from being comfortable to looking like I've just run past mile marker 24 in no time flat.

My coffee habit was getting to be quite the double-edged sword--the last thing I wanted to do was hold a steaming cup of coffee but I needed the sweet nectar of caffeine to start my day and protect those around me from an un-caffeinated Jessica. I discovered iced coffee at Starbucks but that was now costing me time and money. They came out with the instant iced coffee packets that I looooooved and highly promoted to friends and coworkers. But that again seemed like a big rip off and waste.After all, there were 5 to a pack and I could throw back 2 per day, easily.

A few weeks ago I got an email from Cooking.com, with a subject line that caught my eye. "Rethink your iced coffee." It was genius--an iced coffee French press. I did my research and in a few days I had a package waiting for me with my brand new, cherry red french press.


I highly recommend this to anyone who loves iced coffee. I buy a bag of whole beans at the grocery and either grind them myself or do it at the store. You put your grounds in the bottom, fill with cold water, put the top on, put in the fridge, and in less than an hour you have a 51oz of iced coffee! No brewing a pot of hot coffee then letting it sit. No brewing a half pot at double strength then dumping in ice. It's all ready to go!


4 comments:

  1. Yes, just wait for the hot flashes! I've also been drinking iced coffee and found a new great treat. Freeze a tray of coffee cubes, then pour almond milk over them.

    Char

    ReplyDelete
  2. So John sent this to me (I work with him) as I've been experimenting with cold drip brewed coffee.

    I'm testing my first soaked brew today. Have you found any difference in the taste of drinking iced coffee that was cold brewed as compared to hot brewed? Personally it doesn't seem as bitter or acidic, but I'm not much of a coffee guru.

    ReplyDelete
  3. David, I think the cold brewed is stronger. I think it's probably more concentrated so that as the ice melts a little it's evening out the proportion of coffee to water. But I can drink it so fast that I don't know if it has time to even out.

    With the Bodum, I had to switch to a less expensive coffee. It seems like it takes A LOT of coffee to brew 51oz. I had one of the Starbucks bags and I probably got 4 days out of it. So for this I switched to 8 o'clock brew (or something) and grind myself. Let me know what you think. What are you using?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've been using a little bag of Kona blend that we have here at work. I started out using a coworkers Absinthe fountain so slow drip cold water through coffee grounds. The slower the drip the more espresso like the brew. I could start a slow drip at 8a, and I would have enough to make an iced coffee after lunch.

    I let some sit in water overnight (12-14 hours) to brew and I had to pour about an inch into ice and dilute with water to make it drinkable.

    I'm still refining the process...

    ReplyDelete