Tuesday, March 29, 2011

A Letter to Pottery Barn

Dear Pottery Barn,

Thank you so much for making some very cool home furnishings and accessories. I love looking through your catalogs that you send me twice a week and love seeing how you rearrange the exact same items into dozens of different configurations. You appeal to my materialistic side and I love you for it.

However, I have several points of contention with you. First, you spend a disporportionate amount of money marketing yourself to me than I spend buying your stuff. I do not warrant 2 catalogs a week. Yes, I've bought your stuff in the past, but 2 catalogs a week means I don't even bother glancing through them anymore. I've never really jumped whole-heartily on the "green" bandwagon but my God...that's a lot of paper you're wasting.

Second, I like your stuff but I refuse to have a home that looks like a homogenized version of thousands of other homes.

Last--and this may be hard to hear--but some of your stuff is crap. You sell "rustic barnwood tables." Uh huh. One look at the "details" section tells you all you need to know: made of pine with pine veneer, stained mahogany. Or beds made of "solid hardwood." Which hardwood?? Pine stained mahogany? I know that was harsh and I will admit that you DO sell some legitimate mahogany beds and some legitimate quality pieces. I will also admit that I salivate looking at your serving pieces, your glassware, your dinnerware, and your linens. But you make us work for the real information. For every real mahogany bed you've got an "antique" media cabinet made of engineered wood with birch veneer.

In conclusion, I think we can learn to live together peacefully. Just save yourself some money and cut my catalogs to once or twice a month. That would make me so happy.

Yours truly,
Me

No comments:

Post a Comment