Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Grillmeister Apprentice

**NOTE** This post probably won't contain much humor. Feel free to stop reading now.

Now.

I've mentioned how I have amazing friends, right? Well I do. I've only named a handful here but in South Bend my friends include people I've known since college, their family members, friends that survived through long past relationships, THEIR family members, their EXTENDED family members, friends through church...and THEIR family members...friends from work and volunteering...I'm really quite humbled. These friends helped me move 5 times in 8 years. They've joined me in celebrations and hugged me when I've been sad. They've given me many intangible gifts that I oftentimes don't feel worthy to have received.

But this post is about a TANGIBLE gift I received from my friends. Ha! I love stuff. (Remember I'm the girl with 7 sets of dishes) When I bought my house and finally got to move in, my friends presented me with an awesome Weber gas grill. I never thought I'd love to grill as much as I do. Now that the weather is warming up I'm reading more grilling recipes and getting anxious to fire it up. It's relatively fast, the clean up is minimal, the food is scrumptious...what's not to love? I'm still on a learning curve--flank steak looks so easy on the Food Network, mine was like a shoe. A shoe caked with mud. But I make a mean grilled vegetables.

In fact, I'd go vegan if I could eat my grilled vegetables everyday. With a slice of cake, of course. And a Budweiser. And a side of meat.

2 comments:

  1. Dear Jessica,

    In re: steak on the grill - make sure to cook it to about 8 degrees lower than you want the final temp, wrap it in foil right off the grill and let it sit. The steak will coast up to finished temp (and therefore not be overdone) and the juices will set in the process.

    Sincerely,

    Man Griller

    ReplyDelete
  2. Stop by Breadsmith on Hwy. 23 near Martin's. Pick up some of their pizza dough, either whole wheat or flour. Cut it into quarters and stretch it thin, perfection is not required. Coat it with a bit of olive oil, flavored oil adds some zip.
    Heat your grill to medium or high, drop the stretched and oiled slices on and give them about a minute per side.
    These are perfect for a side dish or as the base for grilled personal pizza. They cook fast, taste delicious and have a texture between pita and a medium-thick pizza dough. They pick up flavors from herbs, veggies and cheeses very well. And cheap? Did I mention it's cheap?

    ReplyDelete