Thursday, March 31, 2011

Answers

Warning--this post contains no irony, no funny pictures, and no wit. You have been warned.

Today is a good day. Not just because it's Thursday and thus, almost the weekend, and not just because the sun is shining. (Although, sunshine will play into this story in a minute) It's a good day because I'm finally starting to get some answers.

In early January I had a small surgical procedure. Although small, it did require general anesthesia and 3 days off work. When I went to my post-op meeting with my doctor 3 weeks later I told him the only problem I was still experiencing was sluggishness and fatigue and I asked if I could still be feeling the effects of anesthesia 3 weeks later. I reported extreme exhaustion--I was ready for bed most nights at 8:30pm. I was a barrel of laughs for poor George Clooney, I'm sure.

After 4 vials of blood, an appointment with my primary care physician, more internet research, a good hard cry (maybe two or three), and two nights of insomnia, I'm happy to report that there are at least 2 physical reasons for my exhaustion. Number one--hypothyroidism. My doctor was reluctant to diagnose this one, but after my research I asked for the more sensitive blood tests and sure enough--viola! My poor little thyroid can't keep up with me!

Number two, also a result of the blood tests: I have a pretty non-existent level of vitamin D. Where does vitamin D come from? The sun. What city does the sun hate the most? South Bend, Indiana. So I was instructed to start taking about a gazillion units of vitamin D daily. Otherwise I'm at risk for rickets. Rickets!!! Thank goodness we found this out now because I would NOT want to end up like Rickety Cricket



It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia's Rickety Cricket

1 comment:

  1. At the next FF remind me to introduce you to Debby with vitamin D! she has a similar story but was near death. She LOVES vitamin D and is an advocate. I even bought some and have taken it (at least twice :() Any ways she's a regular too...I hope you are doing better then you were on Friday.
    I'm here for you.
    xo
    CS

    ReplyDelete