It's Thursday which means it's Jessica's Latest Problem with the World, Part 8 but you know what? I'm in a great mood. I don't have a problem with the world today.
I ran errands over my lunch break, one of which included buying new running shoes. I love to buy new running shoes for 2 reasons. The first is that new shoes feel so good! So squishy! And they're clean and unmuddy! But the main reason I like buying new running shoes is because I buy them at an independent retailer. I started going to this place about 5 years ago and was so impressed with their level of service that I am hopelessly devoted to them. They could recommend that I run with paint cans over my feet and I'd believe them.
First of all, there's a sign on the wall that says "We won't let you buy your shoes based on the color." So your first realization is: you may end up with ugly shoes. Second of all, before you can randomly pick out some shoes based on color or price, they put you in some neutral running shoes and make you run around in their parking lot while they watch you. It's intimidating and I'll admit that the first time I ran for them I attempted to break the 40-yard dash world record. But they're so nice and they talk to you and before you know it you're running back and forth normally while they get a good idea of your pronation, your gait, and which part of your foot is striking the ground the hardest.
Then you go back inside and they bring you 3-4 shoes to try on. That's it. If you fell in love with the yellow Pumas on the wall and they didn't bring them to you? Tough. Go to Finish Line if you want yellow Pumas. If they bring you pink Asics and you like them but want blue? Tough. You're getting the Asics in pink.
I walked in today and the owner knew me, greeted me, and told me the new Sauconys were great and that I'd probably love them. Dressed in my work clothes I didn't expect to test drive them but they made me put on socks and walk around in the new shoes (which are gray with teal trim, by the way.) When they rang me up they gave me a frequent customer discount, a reusable "green" shopping bag, and the owner told me to have a great day. (He was busy in the parking lot, converting a new runner into a devotee.)
So I sing the praises of this store and the people who work there, I sing the praises of ALL independent retailers and the attention they give to their customers and the quality of service they provide. I admit that I shop at big box stores when the budget is tight but I rarely walk out of those stores with a grin on my face or a lighter step, feeling like I just visited friends.
And...some independent retailers are cuter than June bugs. :)
No comments:
Post a Comment