Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Typical

Last night was the first night of a graduate class that's going to suck my will to live. I'm consulting a lawyer because I'm pretty sure that quizzes on Friday NIGHTS and tests on Saturday NIGHTS are illegal. Anyway...that's not the point of the story.

I'll set the scene: basement classroom, about 9 students and 1 professor. The prof has a thick accent and is quickly going through the logistics of the online class, showing us the websites we'll need, talking about his policies, and asking for questions. He's moving quickly because he knows a lot of us want to get home and watch the football game.
Here's the exchange that I THOUGHT happened:

Prof: Questions? Questions? Questions?
(Silence)
Prof: If you don't have any questions it either means that I'm damn good or that you want to go home. (Looks directly at me) Which is it?
Me: You're DAMN good.
Prof: (Silence. Looks to another person) You? Do you have any questions?

When I got home and thought about it, here's the exchange as I suspect it ACTUALLY happened:

Prof: Questions? Questions? Questions?
(Silence)
Prof: If you don't have any questions it either means that I'm that good or that you want to go home. (Looks directly at me) Which is it?
Me: You're DAMN good.
Prof: (Silence)

1 comment: