
I had an outpatient surgical procedure yesterday. I am all right and everything's fine. It was my first surgical experience, actually my first hospital experience. I had been downplaying it in my mind for weeks so when we showed up at 5:30am and the whole process started, I was a little overwhelmed.
This was serious business.
Everyone was really nice. ESPECIALLY the nurse who sat next to my bed when I was in recovery while the anesthesia wore off. I remember through the fog, as I was waking up, that I was talking. For the sake of privacy...let's say I was talking about unicorns. So I knew I was talking about unicorns but it was like I was in a hotel room, listening to someone through the wall talk about unicorns. But it was me. As I gradually became more coherent I asked the nurse if I was talking about unicorns. She said I was. I asked her what I said about unicorns. She chuckled and recounted to me what I said.
I wanted to die. Thankfully, all she said was that our subconscious is a funny thing. Yes it is.
No comments:
Post a Comment