As 2011 came to a close I took a page from her book and decided that 2012 would be (for me) "The Year of Vanity." I didn't care what vanity meant, officially. I just thought that, after assessment, I needed to make some changes.
I wasn't taking very good of myself. I was noticing that more and more mornings included a mental conversation/smack down with myself that went something like this:
"Well, you obviously didn't get enough sleep last night, you still look tired. And once again, you didn't wash your make up off before you went to bed...and you wonder why your skin looks dull and you're starting to see little wrinkles pop up. Hmmmm, still a little puffy from yesterday...that's because you didn't eat dinner before going to class and came home ravenous and ate orange sherbet for dinner. Good work! Why don't you deep condition your hair this morning and try to tame the fuzziness? Oh, right...you're running late AGAIN."And so, in December I committed to myself that 2012 would be my Year of Vanity. I would do what I needed to do to regain control and care of myself. I would get more sleep. I'd wash my face at night and use all the serums, creams, and potions I'd invested in. I would start wearing mascara again. I'd plan out my meals so I wouldn't end up eating cheese slices and toast for dinner. I'd use some of the dozen of so bottles of hand lotion, foot lotion, and body lotion. (Just to name a few)
So it's February and while I can't say that I'm batting 1000, I can say that the effects of my efforts are reaching farther than just myself and my appearance, mood, and puffiness. Taking care of myself is investing in myself. It's acknowleding to myself that I am worth the time and effort it takes to look and feel good. And when I've invested in myself I feel more present at work, in the classroom, and with George. I can tell that I'm more on top of my game. I'm more confident. I'm prepared.
Vanity officially means "excessively proud of one's appearance and accomplishments." Not to me. I'm redefining vanity to mean "positive changes, beginning--most importantly--with yourself."
No comments:
Post a Comment