Friday, February 3, 2012

My Mom Has Great Taste

Over Christmas I was reminded that--indeed--I am completely my mother's daughter.

I've expressed my love for Neil Diamond before on the bloggy blog, on Facebook, and in multiple variations of interpretative dance. And I've also seen the Neil Diamond Greatest Hits double CD at my mom's house. But sometimes, I just have a problem of putting two and two together.

At Christmas we were cooking and chatting and enjoying each other's company when my mom told me to go into the living room and put on some Christmas music. The next thing my mom heard was "Coming to America." Merry Christmas to all and to all a Hot August Night!

I relived my dance recital when I got to gallop around the stage to "Coming to America" waving a mini American flag...one of my fondest memories. I was galloping around the kitchen, filled with American/Christmas pride when my mom tells me (and I KNOW she's told me this before but I just never made the profound connection) "I saw Neil Diamond in concert."

Me: When?!?!?!?!
Mom: In the 70s.
Me: What did he wear? Did he wear a sequin shirt???
Mom: No, but he was very sexy. He wore a jacket with fringe.
Me: No way!!!!!
Mom: Yes way.

We then talked about some of Neil's lyrics, my mom enlightening me that there are some R-rated themes in Neil's songs. I never knew. I figured he just really liked blue jeans and red wine and Shiloh.

No comments:

Post a Comment