Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Work Work Work Senora.....

It's back to normal today. Back to eating normal-sized meals at normal meal hours. Back to alarm clocks. Back to professional-casual dress. Back to reality. I've been on vacation for the last 2 weeks + 1 day and while I love drinking coffee all  morning looking out my window, and while I love reading all afternoon while drinking another pot of coffee, I needed to come back to work. Not just to keep the ole bank account afloat, but for my well-being.

I need structure. I need someplace to go. I need my time compartmentalized: work. gym. George Clooney. Roni.

When I was little, for various reasons, my brother and I would sometimes end up at my dad's office during the daytime. The office administrative assistant ("secretary" in the 80's) was an awesome lady named Eva. We loved Eva. She was an older woman, smoked like crazy, incredibly nice and patient, and didn't mind two little kids talking to her, messing around in the office, and asking her for pop and candy. Eva, from what I remember, was the only woman working there at the time. And to me, Eva was the hen, ruling the roost. From my perspective, Eva was keeping all those guys in line and on schedule. She could take what ever those characters dished out and give it RIGHT back to them.

I loved Eva's desk. I was fascinated by it. My dad would sometimes bring my brother and I back to work in the evenings or on the weekend and it was my time to play around at Eva's desk. She had an olive green phone with the buttons at the bottom, showing multiple phone lines. The handset had one of those shoulder rest things coming out of it and I used to pretend I was Eva, the high-powered secretary in the office, handling multiple calls and shuffling papers with the phone resting on my shoulder. She had an adding machine that I would turn on and pretend I was getting to the bottom of a major budget blunder. She had these rubber things that you put over your fingers. (I was not quite as impressed with these).

My desk today doesn't seem NEARLY as awesome as Eva's was.

No comments:

Post a Comment