Grad school 2012 is underway! My first class in Taxation (not Taxidermy, that's down the hall) was last night and I'm really counting on the sage advice of my friend Neve Campbell, who assured me that she found Tax to be really interesting. I'm counting on it getting a little better than last night. It absolutely HAS to be more interesting than Chapter 1: The History of Tax.
Class No. 2 starts on Monday, which I'm renaming "So You Think You Have What it Takes to be an Accountant." This is not the first semester that I've taken two classes, but it's the first that I've taken two accounting classes. I say this every semester, but I feel like this is a defining moment for me: Do I have the chops for this??? Do I have the TIME for this??? Do I have the courage for this???
One thing's for sure: I'll have to have the back and arm muscles for this. The two books combined weigh 19lbs. When I bought the Tax book I was floored, I'd never had a textbook so thick. That was until yesterday, when I bought the SYTYHWITTBAA textbook, which was 1/4in thicker.
Enough about goals and life and muscles, blah blah blah. Here's the funny story. Last night the professor took attendance and when he reached the end of his list he asked if there was anyone whose name he didn't call. After adding a few people to his roster, he looked pointedly at 3 girls sitting in the front row. He asked them if he had called their name...and they did not reply. No head shake/nod, and definitely no reply.
He asked again, "Did I call your names?" One girl finally said--simply--"No." The teacher went back around and grabbed his pen, ready to write their names down, and the 2nd girl said "We're not in this class. We're auditing." The professor looked confused, because even students auditing classes should be on the official roster. He tried to clarify "You're auditing this class for the semester?" The 1st girl said "No, we're just here to observe this class. Today. Today only."
Blank stare from the professor.
Kids. Interested in the strangest things.
No comments:
Post a Comment