Monday, May 2, 2011

Yogi

I think a lot. A LOT. I can analyze something to death. I will mull it over and over and frontwards and backwards until I annoy everyone around me. I make lots of mental lists that I promptly forget. I can think of a thousand things that need to get done or should get done. And at least a dozen things that I DON'T do that I wish I did because I think I'd be a better person.


I bring this up because I took a yoga class last week. And I enjoyed it. I was surprised. I took a yoga class a few years ago at a local college and thought ti was just ok. It was a great ab workout but otherwise, I did not experience the relaxation I think I was supposed to. My brain just wouldn't shut off! I was thinking about my posture and if I looked stupid, I was thinking about the other people in the class with me, I was thinking about grocery shopping and how much more I'd be sweating and working out if I was out running or at the gym.


But last week I was able to really focus on my breathing and stretching. I was able to shut my brain off for awhile. I still worried that my t-shirt was riding up and that I wasn't holding my arms the exact right way. But I didn't think once about the things I COULD be doing in that hour. Or worry about work that I didn't get finished. Or make lists of cleaning projects. I think I might be a convert.


Oh, and the guy next to me tooted. :) So I wasn't the MOST embarrassed person there!

1 comment:

  1. I'm so happy that you found that side of yoga class. Those of us who have hyperactive minds--which seems to be most of us--really need some way to unwind. Pertinent to "dancin", my favorite yoga teacher said “Ahh, here is someone (the teacher in her Austin Texas yoga class) who knows that movement is sacred, that it is a form of worship.” From the cousin's wife at the Texas Wedding.

    ReplyDelete