Friday, May 27, 2011

A Fly on the Wall...

Conversation I overheard last week:

"...I haven't learned anything in college. I think college is a joke. If I could make a decent wage at my job as a bank teller I'd just keep doing that and forget this [expletive.]"

As a professional working in higher education, I'd like to amend his statement.

"...I haven't learned anything in college because I don't read anything I'm assigned and I don't try. Even now--we're supposed to be working on textbook problems but I'm complaining about my bank teller coworkers and gossiping with you. I think college is a joke that everyone around me seems to get and enjoy but I stare blankly because I don't want to think too hard. If I could make a decent wage at my job as a bank teller I'd just keep doing that and forget this [expletive] and make room in classes for people who actually care about their future and care enough to make the class interesting. Instead, I come to class unprepared and make my classmates reteach me everything and then copy their work.

1 comment:

  1. Sherry StuifbergenMay 30, 2011 at 9:16 AM

    Rah, yay, Jessica! And you are not even a "teacher!" Said perfectly to what I see in high school everyday...parents too.

    ReplyDelete