Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Play or Get Played

Omar Little. The scariest drug thief I would LOVE to have dinner with.


George Clooney and I have been watching the HBO series The Wire, via Netflix for a couple of months now. We're wrapping up the 5th and final season. It's probably the best tv drama I've ever seen (I can't say "program" because that would force me to decide between The Wire and The Office.) I recommend it whole-heartedly--it can be tough to watch but you'll be hooked. Like one of the drug fiends on the show.

It's gotten into my (and George's) head so much that in almost every conversation with George there is a Wire reference. I've begun talking like the folks on The Wire (NOT a good thing, since every other word on the show is an F bomb) and all things that happen to me now are mentally checked against the plot in the show.

Examples:


  • We see a homeless person on the street and automatically refer to him as "Bubbles."

  • Getting seconds for dinner is not "getting seconds." It's a "re-up."

  • Someone dying is not "dying." It's "they got got."

  • George plans to give the 5 month-old son of our mutual friends a bottle of Jameson whiskey, because he has the same name of the lovable yet unfaithful, lying, drunk cop on the show. Jimmyyyyyyyy!

  • The democratic nominee for mayor of South Bend reminds me of Tommy Carcetti, promising a "new day" in Baltimore. Let's hope Pete can clean up South Bend better than Carcetti cleaned up Baltimore.

  • A hat is not a hat. It's a "crown." And the drug dealing code says that all "play" suspends on Sunday.

  • I don't trust public school, politicians, unions, the police, the newspaper, or drug dealers anymore.

No comments:

Post a Comment