Earlier this week I ran into my friendly local supermarket. I needed to grab coffee filters and a salad. (Please note: I was craving a salad. This is the first known craving for a salad this woman has ever experienced)
Of course I picked up a few extras and then got in line to check out. I was the 3rd person in my particular line, directly behind a man, who was directly behind a woman. The check out boy, the bag boy, and Woman #1 were having a very lively conversation which I didn't find unusual, since the customer service at my local friendly supermarket is always exceptional.
I kind of got distracted looking at the celebrity magazines and mindlessly inched forward as Man #1 finished up his check out. I noticed that Woman #1--even though she had checked out--was only just leaving. It looked like she was talking to some other people working at the store. I set my basket down and this is what happened next:
Check Out Boy to Bag Boy: She used to be so hot
Bag Boy: Really?
Check Out Boy: Yeah, she used to work here. I mean, she's still hot but she was even hotter when she worked here.
Jessica: [Wordless stare at Check Out Boy]
Bag Boy: Was that her kid? Didyoufindeverythingokmiss. Too bad she's got a kid now.
Jessica: [Stare]
Check Out Boy: $21.32. Yeah, that was her kid but the thing....
Jessica: [Swipe] [Stare]
Check Out Boy: [Finally noticing Jessica staring] ...hang on, I'll tell you in a minute.
Bag Boy: Haveagoodnightmiss. What's her name?
Jessica: [exits Stage Right]
I wasn't ticked about the actual discussion (people have discussions about other people's beauty and attractiveness all the time). What grated my cheese is that this "conversation" about a customer happened in front of me, another customer. Listening to this "conversation" was my customer-service experience.
At least my salad was good.
No comments:
Post a Comment