Tuesday, September 18, 2012

As if Running Isn't Hard Enough Already

Sunday found me going back to the computer lab for more fun and studying. My hopes were high for new material...and I was not disappointed. In fact, this might be one of my finest observational moments to date.

I was walking up the incline to the library and noticed that there was someone jogging on the path parallel to the sidewalk I was on, but up the incline and above me. Being self-conscious of my own running, I didn't stare at the guy or try to make eye contact. But then my eye registered the neon pink and I darted my eyes to see what it was all about.

Ok. I admit that I'm often behind the times and don't understand current trends. i.e. planking. So maybe this is a new "thing" and I just don't know about it. So if YOU know about it, please enlighten me.

This guy was jogging with a stick between his legs.


The stick was white and a third of it--the front third--was neon pink. Other than this stick he was holding between his legs he looked perfectly normal. After I saw the stick it's not like I could look away, right? So now I'm freely and openly staring at the guy and he's jogging forward but looking at me now, the entire time. I stared back, willing myself not to react (was this an experiment? Was I being watched?) and let him run on ahead of me.

I got out my phone to text George about the sighting when ANOTHER dude ran by with a stick between his legs. This guy seemed to be lost, though, looking for his other stick-running buddy. I was half-tempted to help him out and point him in the direction that Stick Man #1 ran, but sometimes the best lessons about losing your stick-running buddies are the hardest to learn. I hope Stick Man #2 found his friend.

No comments:

Post a Comment