Friday, August 19, 2011

Jessica the Builder

I know how to wash my clothes. Therefore I don't send my laundry to a laundromat.
I know how to vacuum and dust and pick up my clutter. Therefore, I don't hire a cleaning service.
I know how to drive my car. Therefore, I don't have a driver named Stuart.

I do NOT know how to cut my own hair. Therefore, I pay someone to cut my hair.
I do NOT know how to plumb (hee!), Therefore, I hire plumbers.
I do NOT know how to install siding on my house. Therefore, I hired a contractor when I needed to replace rotting siding.
I do NOT know anything about gutters. Therefore, I hired a company to install the gutters on my house.

Do you think I know anything about installing a new front door with sidelights? No, I don't. So I hired a contractor. He told me to go to Lowe's and buy the door and he'd install it. Hmmmm.

Never before has my plumber ever said "You need a new gaskety thing. Go buy it and I'll install it." My gutter guys did not tell me "Just go buy all the gutters you'll need. We'll come back and put 'em up."

So guess what?? The door opening is not standard-sized. Did I know that? Nope. Did the contractor I hired know? Who knows. He sure didn't tell me. So now I own a door that--in order to get it to fit in my house--the gorgeous, thick, wood trim around my house will have to be cut into about 4 inches, destroying the look of the house.

And he doesn't feel responsible. He told me "I didn't tell you what size of door to order." Um, that's kind of EXACTLY THE POINT.

Stay tuned for updates.

1 comment:

  1. So sorry Jess. I am sure it will look good in the end. If not, throw a pile of dried grass in the corner of your yard and no one with notice :)

    ReplyDelete