Monday, December 6, 2010

Do You Wanna Know What I Hate?

This a very broad topic and one in which I'm sure we'll explore more in the new year. Here's to a hate-filled 2011!!

Ok, enough with the jokes, let's just focus on today's topic: Self congratulatory statements masked by appreciation statements.

In a lot of thank you speeches you'll hear people say "I wouldn't be who I am today if it weren't for ______." Or "I owe who I am today to ______."

Well, who said you were that great? Sure, you usually go on to talk about the wonderful virtues and traits of the person who made you "awesome," and that person probably really IS all that and a bag of chips. But that person being a bag of chips doesn't mean YOU'RE a bag of chips.

And you might be a bag of chips, who knows. But putting yourself forward as an example of all things great that the real bag of chips can take credit for?? Did you ever think that maybe the bag of chips is secretly embarrassed of you? Or that the bag of chips doesn't even remember you? Maybe the bag of chips considers you a bag of Bugles.

1 comment:

  1. What's with Bugles. They can scoop up a lot!

    ReplyDelete