Last night was my final exam for my spring class. I won't go into too much detail but I struggled with a page and a half question that began about WWII planes and their wing design and ended with sampling dead flies from a 1940s restaurant without air-conditioning. It was time for a well-earned margarita.
George picked me up and we went to a Mexican restaurant that was originally a house. We sat upstairs in the bar, choosing a booth with a majestic view of the parking lot. Conversation centered--as it has for the last 9 months--around the wedding (and when the waitress was ever going to bring George his requested salted glass.) All in all, a regular no-story-here evening.
Suddenly George looked down at the parking lot and said something like "When did the cops get here?" Directly below us were a parked mini van and a car. Outside of the cars were 2 women and a man. And surrounding the cars and people were four squad cars and 5 cops. The women and man didn't appear to be shouting or fighting but police officers separated them and questioned them individually. I noticed in the minivan that there was a child sitting in the front seat.
Our waitress walked by and made a comment about there never being a dull moment at the restaurant. A patron asked what was going on and the waitress said that the people were doing drugs in their cars--WITH THE CHILD--and someone called the police. Whether or not that's true, I don't know. No one seemed to be mad or manic or even nervous. After a few minutes the police drove away and the people got in their cars and drove away and our night returned to normal. Except that George and I were now comparing the scene to HBO's The Wire and became obsessed with remembering every character on the show. Proposition Joe?? Omar?? Dukie?? I miss you all.
The story is not over!
The universe has a way of correcting itself. For that potential negative excitement we were rewarded with positivity. We walked out of the restaurant and to the parking lot when a teacup chihuahua came running at us.
Nuzzling our legs and wagging it's tail, the little puppy couldn't seem to get enough of us. It was the cutest thing I'd ever seen. (Perspective may be altered by the 2 margaritas I had) The chihuahua was being "walked" by a HUGE man, who told us the dog was a "people person." All 3.8lbs. I asked the man what the dog's name was.
Mrs. Doubtfire.
"C'mon Mrs. Doubtfire. Leave them alone Mrs. Doubtfire."
And all was right in the world.


No comments:
Post a Comment