Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Enlightened by NPR

Today's my birthday. But I'm sure you already knew that when your iPhone alerted you this morning. Mine did.

My special birthday treat this year is getting a new alternator for my car. My car decided to break down last night--thankfully--as I turned into the parking lot of the grocery. I kept reminding myself that this could have been worse--it COULD have happened in downtown Chicago last weekend.

Being the nicest fiance that ever lived, George Clooney took me to work this morning. We started my day off right with a swing through Starbucks to get a birthday coffee and to buy the local paper (which features our engagement announcement! Page B8!). When I ride by myself the radio dial could be set to anything from NPR to the PG-rated morning trio to the "oh-so-crazy" guy and predictions from Barbara the Gray Witch. But when riding with George it's pretty much exclusively NPR.

We pulled onto campus as Morning Edition was doing their introduction, which always ends with a celebrity birthday. Ladies and gentlemen, you'll need to sit down. I share my birthday with none other than


Skrillex

According to Wikipedia: Skrillex is the stage name for Sonny John Moore and he's won 3 Grammies. His genre is electronic music, dubstep (what???), and brostep (wow).

NPR COULD have mentioned that another famous person who would have celebrated a birthday today was MARTIN LUTHER KING JR!  Instead, I now feel like a stereotypical old person, not knowing who the kids are listening to these days.

Oh well. Cheers Skrillex! I'm going to brostep today, in your honor. Will you do the "shopping cart" in honor of me?

No comments:

Post a Comment